Derek Delaney, CFP®, ChFC®, EA, CSLP
Founder & President
What I Believe:
Real financial planning is something most people will never get to experience in their life. Buying investment products from a financial advisor isn't real financial planning. Getting generic stock market and investment advice from a financial advisor isn't real financial planning (turn on CNBC and you'll get the same thing). Working with a financial advisor on a commission basis isn't real financial planning. Ultimately, you gain very little from those types of relationships. Many families deserve more and better.
That is what I've set out to do. I want to give people the opportunity to work with a firm that serves them as a true fiduciary. And to provide a world class financial planning relationship by delivering massive value in ways that positively impact their life.
How I Can Help:
As the founder and president of PharmD Financial Planning, I become your co-creator, partner, and problem solver. No product sales or conflicted advice. My loyalties are with you and not to some big insurance or investment company.
I believe that financial planning, when done correctly, can make a tremendous positive impact in people’s lives. I am given the opportunity to help clients address some of their most intricate issues that revolve around money. The mutual trust and commitment we build together will be both gratifying and personally fulfilling.
I am married to a pharmacist, Kortney Delaney (a South Dakota State alumna), and we have two young kids, Ben and Hannah. As a young family of 4 living in Minnesota, we spend as much time as we can outside when the weather allows. From April to October, we often frequent the local parks and playgrounds. We also enjoy bonfires at home, board games and spending time with grandparents.
I enjoy staying active, whether through running, golfing or simply pulling a wagon for my kids around our neighborhood. Outside of work, I also enjoy attending live sporting and musical events with friends.
Bachelor’s degree in finance and minor in accounting; cum laude – North Dakota State University, 2011
Designations & Certifications
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER(™) professionals have met extensive training and experience requirements, and commit to CFP Board’s ethical standards that require them to put their clients’ interest first.
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®)
- ChFC® designation covers a must-have list of requirements for financial advisors, from knowledge on tax and retirement planning to special needs advising, wealth management, insurance, and more.
- Enrolled Agent tax practitioner (EA)
An enrolled agent is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. Enrolled agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards.
- Certified Student Loan Professional (CSLP)
- A certification that a professional earns when they have shown the competency to make fully informed decisions about student loan repayment within the context of a comprehensive financial plan.