Derek Delaney, CFP®, ChFC®, EA, CSLP
Founder & Lead Planner
Who I Work With:
Of the pharmacists I know or have partnered with, you’re a group that’s driven to excel in every way. Whether that’s in your career or with regard to your family’s goals, your diligence and work ethic is unparalleled. However, pharmacists face a unique set of financial hurdles in their position.
Given that my wife is a pharmacist, I have firsthand experience with many of the issues you’re going through. Your situation is ripe for long-lasting financial health, but that depends on utilizing the right strategies as early as possible. I’m dedicated to helping you do just that.
How I Can Help:
As the founder and lead planner of PharmD Financial Planning, partnering with you to create a strategic plan that makes the most of your opportunities is at the core of what I do. I’m here to guide you as you navigate all the ups and downs of your financial lives.
I believe that financial planning, when done correctly, can make a tremendous positive impact in people’s lives. I am given the opportunity to help clients address some of their most intricate issues that revolve around money. The mutual trust and commitment we build together is both very gratifying and professionally fulfilling.
I’m proud to proactively look out for my clients, so they don’t have to themselves and can instead spend their free time focused on their lives, with peace of mind.
What I Do Outside of Work:
I am married to a pharmacist, Kortney Delaney (a South Dakota State alumna), and we have two young kids, Ben and Hannah. As a young family of 4 living in Minnesota, we spend as much time as we can outside when the weather allows. From April to October, we often frequent the local parks and playgrounds. We also enjoy bonfires at home, board games and spending time with grandparents.
I enjoy staying active, whether through running, golfing or simply pulling a wagon for my kids around our neighborhood. Outside of work, I also enjoy attending live sporting and musical events with friends.
Bachelor’s degree in finance and minor in accounting; cum laude – North Dakota State University, 2011
Designations & Certifications
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER(™) professionals have met extensive training and experience requirements, and commit to CFP Board’s ethical standards that require them to put their clients’ interest first.
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®)
- ChFC® designation covers a must-have list of requirements for financial advisors, from knowledge on tax and retirement planning to special needs advising, wealth management, insurance, and more.
- Enrolled Agent tax practitioner (EA)
An enrolled agent is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. Enrolled agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards.
- Certified Student Loan Professional (CSLP)
- A certification that a professional earns when they have shown the competency to make fully informed decisions about student loan repayment within the context of a comprehensive financial plan.